Thursday, February 6, 2020

Ready, Steady, Run

K and I have picked up running. It started with me wanting to run with Chiyaa. I tried a few times. But my God! She is one hellova reluctant runner. Giving up on her, I tried K. As daughter he started on the journey reluctantly. He used puff and pant and give up quite easily. But gradually he started enjoying it. He started doing runs on his own. He started running 10Km on his own and many a days 12-15km! He started running to work. He joined a local running club where they would go for runs once a week. He enrolled for a running coaching session run by the local club where they would give tips and tricks and then run some more. For someone who was a foodie and a proper couch potato sure this was no mean feat. He was transforming into a “runner”.

My running took a backstage (someone has to look after the kids *rolls eyes*) But K still “enjoyed running with me the most”. His words entirely :P So we kept looking for chances to run together. Which was only possible when our parents were around. We did our runs kids permitting over the weekends. But there was a lingering desire to take part in a running event. I wasn’t very keen on it. I did not understand taking part in such races, especially us being amateur runners. We would definitely not be competing with the others. And if we were aiming for a personal best, then we do it by ourselves in our personal runs. There was only one element which was the “force factor”. If one registers for an event, then it is mandatory to go for it and hopefully to complete it. I am not a stickler to the completing bit, since, if the body gives up, it is ok to return. What are we trying to prove by going on at the cost of physical trauma. And one could have that determination during personal runs too.

But K wanted to take part in one, and I too wanted to see what the deal was. K had registered for a few events, but we found one which we could both undertake given our limitations of someone needing to be there to take care of the kids. With my parents around, there was one to be held in the end of January which fit our bill. The only issue was – it was 10miles not kms! That equates to 16kms. We had never run that sort of distance. But well, we had time, hopefully get there.

We never got the chance to run 16kms during our weekends. I estimated that running 16kms would take 2 hours approx. We have a somewhat functional exercise machine at home, it is neither a proper cycle nor an elliptical trainer. It is a bit of a mix. It does not emulate actual running or a treadmill, but something is better than nothing. I started doing 60 minutes on it and tried to build up the time. I failed miserably since who has heard of a mother having 60mins of exercise time! Yes, I would have to generally jump off to mediate a war between the siblings. One day I managed 75 minutes. I was generally fine, but towards the evening felt extremely groggy.

One weekend K convinced me to take the “long” run that he had done once. I agreed. We went through territories I was familiar with to start with. But eventually I had no clue where we were headed. It was around 1700, none of us had a phone or any money. And we were running and running and running. I started getting worried for the kids back home. What if there was an emergency? You guys know I have a creative imagination! As if that was not enough, I needed a wee! K was in a toss. He couldn’t believe that I needed a wee! He asked me to enter a pub and use the facilities. But come on, the pub wasn’t a public toilet. If we had some money, I would have got a bottle of water and been a paying customer to use their facilities. But going inside just for the toilet seemed preposterous for me. K then recommended that I knock on one of the houses and use the toilet! My God! The man was creative but not practical! No way was I going to do that! So we carried on. Trust me on one thing – running on a full bladder is very painful L So I started slowing down. Which exasperated K. I was loosing my endurance too. And on one secluded stretch said, I am going to go behind the bushes. K was reluctant, but when you need to go, you need to go! Ah sweet relief!!!!

Bodily fluids eliminated, we restarted our run with renewed vigour (I am not going to talk about my thirst K) After what seemed like forever we reached home. We had done ….. a mere 11km L L L And spent 2hours!!!! Gosh how long were we going to take for 16? K after some reflection suggested that we skip the run. It would be a mere monetary loss. But he felt “ we were not ready for it” I was fine with it. For he was the real runner now J But then his sessions at the running club enthused him, and he reverted his earlier decision. “We should give it a shot”. “Whats the worse that could happen” – I chimed in J We bought new shoes. We geared up J

D day. I was all right, but K the serious one, had nerves. We reached the venue for registration. As we were making our way to the starting point of the race, we had to cross a few roads. The jittery participant K jumped a few pedestrian signals and made his way, while I waited for the green sign to flash like a law abiding citizen. This caused an altercation. Some start! As usual  there was a few melodramatic words thrown in by yours truly “this is our first and last run together” which were fairly rebutted by K “Why are you making a big deal? You should have some trust and cross with me!” Who was more right? Votes in comments please :D (Seriously if you are one of the 10 readers of this blog, you have to comment) (And don’t I sound like a social media influencer with 0 followers :D :P )

Anyways that was some start. Before we commenced running, we patched up. The initial stretch was beautiful and there was a throng of runners. Slowly we started being over taken. We were sandwiched between 2 ladies who seemed middle aged (guessing by their backsides ;) Don’t judge me, I am guessing :P) and a lady who was middle aged (I could see her face, so I categorized her :D ) We were chugging along. K commented that I was running like a champ! Which was high praise indeed. He has one of the fitness monitor watches and I asked how far had we come. Honestly I expected the answer to be 9-10 kms and he shattered my wishes by saying, “5”. Five??!!! Did you say 5???!!! Are you kidding me? It seemed like I had been running forever! But of course it must be 5 since there was a drinks and refreshments station at  the mid way mark and we had not come upon it. We carried on. We had a game of sorts, where the lady behind us overtook us and we overtook her. J Healthy sportsmanship ;)

We passed through some real picturesque views beside a river. While others were busy running, we took some pics :P At one point as if by divine justice, K needed a wee! *lol in head* And that made the lady behind us really really overtake us. Well… physical comfort first, race results later.

There was one of the organisers running behind us. He was collecting the flags that marked the course. He was close behind us with shallow words of encouragement(I am sure he meant them :P) “you have done the hard bit, its all downhill now”, “just round the corner and you have reached”. Yours truly *Says expletives in head* All those were LIES. It wasn’t all downhill. It wasn’t round the corner. It was God knows how far!! We reached a familiar territory and I knew that it was where I had last checked the distance covered to be 5k. Means we had 5K more! My back and hip was cramping and K’s legs were giving up. K wanted to let the organizer coming behind us, that we were ready to quit. I was reluctant, cos we had to get to the start point, since our car was parked there. Might as well finish the race. When we reached the next marshal K was ready to say that we surrender. But the volunteer luckily said, “you are only 2 miles away”. We paid attention to 2 and ignore the unit of distance J 2 is a small number isn’t it? :D  After a point, we could not physically run any more. We walked. K tried to summon some dying power and run a bit, but I made up my mind to walk the rest of the distance. To hell with running.

When we finally reached the finishing point, I just sat on my haunches. I had never felt more tired.  We had a drink of cranberry juice in the pub. Walking to the car seemed torture! We somehow made it and came back home.

I felt I would be dead beat at home. But more than anything else I was ravenous. I had some home made nuts bar in the car. But the fish curry and rice mummy had made was the stuff I wanted! Mummy asked me to lie down and put my feet up to let the blood flow down. Contrary to what I thought of needing the bed straight away, I was faring fine. I had a luxurious boiling hot water bath, which was immensely good for my aching muscles. I had a bit of an ache in my hips the next few days, but nothing I cannot cope. The icing on the cake was the results. We were sure we were last (didn’t we see one of the organisers collecting flags right behind us? ) But no!

Since mummy and papa are here, we have signed up for our next 10K race in March :P :D

1 comment:

Shallu Goyal said...

Kudossssss to u both!!! Awesomeee feat!!...u know what! just yesterday I enrolled for one..:PPP and today I am reading ur post on the same thing...hehe see as I always tell ..u lead my way to more n more inspiration every time I need it..:))) loads of hugs