Sunday, September 6, 2020

Parents are so annoying

 They leave and we are left with all the emptiness.


It is so weird to turn the intruder alarm off when I wake up in the morning, because for the past 8 and a half months Papa who used to wake around 5 was in charge of it. 


It is disconcerting to walk downstairs and find every room dark. Mummy who used to wake up next used to ensure that all the curtains were drawn back and the rooms were awash with light. If it was one of the chill mornings,she would also turn the heater on to get the rooms to just the right temperature.


Mummy would not even let me make my morning glass of warm water and cup of coffee. She would ask me to log in straight away and bring the two things to my desk. 


Papa had a keen eye on the weather and used to advise us which day would be best to do the laundry and put the clothes out for drying. Being the economically wise one, he didn't want us to waste electricity in running the tumble drier. 


Papa would clean vaccum the house every alternate day, clean the windows and even the toilets and bath once a week.


Mummy of course had taken over the kitchen.

K and I had time to go on runs on a weekend morning. We used to go grocery shopping together leaving the kids at home. All this was taken for granted and normal. 


We had immense help, even for childcare. But the most important thing we had was the vibes. 


There was a genuine feeling of love and warmth. There was a flow of conversation. Out of the blue we would start discussing politics or economics or people and relatives. We would play wordscapes which a word game or word search. Mummy would whip up delicacies just like that. Her uber simple cabbage curry or her decadent carrot halwa or the awesome jhal muri which is a dry and spicy version of bhel puri with hot ginger tea on rainy mornings without anyone asking for it - it was nothing but love. 


I made a trip to the supermarket yesterday and I had a blob in my throat when I saw a melon. Mummy and I would cut and much through an entire fruit in one afternoon with Pumpki joining in. As I went through the biscuits aisle I realised we wouldn't need rich tea biscuits for a long time. We don't eat them, but it was a regular when papa mummy were here. 


The house is cleaner now, since there is way less cooking and less people. The rooms are stark and empty. There is a coldness in everything. Everything reeks and smells of them. It is weird. We are going through the motions of living, but it feels weird. As if an important thread is missing. We are at a weird stage in life where our mental age is closer to our parents. So we understand them and I am sure they see themselves in us. It was a lovely stress free time that we had. We will take a while to recover and stop missing them. 


2 comments:

Shallu Goyal said...

I can connect with EACH AND EVERY SINGLE THING you mentioned. You can never ever stop missing them, they go and take a part of u with them..:)I am sure you would miss them for a long long time...its been almost a year may parents left for India, till day I miss them when I go for walks coz that what they used to LOVEE, they will look at the front yards of other houses, look at the grown up fruit trees and advise me what looks good on patio tiles, that we should grow what fruits season wise and sooo many other things. I still click pix of the plants they had grown to show them how do they look like now. I miss their unconditional love and immense help. We used to be free on the weekends coz they used to wrap up pretty much all the household chores during the week days itself. Thanks to CORONA times...:))

Amrita said...

These words are so like my own...yes parents make a different environment all together...