Monday, April 8, 2024

Much ado about nothing?

I hate going in to work. There was a team gathering that was scheduled in the first week of March. I was dreading it and had absolutely no inclination to go for it. So a week to the event I felt as if my eyes were looking a bit puffier than usual. I felt as if I was being vain or maybe it was just psychological because I had to go into work and spend a day interacting with people :) I was just concentrating on the weird look on my face. I even resorted to strange things like chamomile tea and dandelion tea to reduce the bloat! But a day before the event I could see that the eyes did appear a bit too swollen and I thought it might be better to get it checked. 

When I got in touch with a medical practitioner over the phone, she recommended that it would be a better idea to get checked in person. The next available appointment was the next day and I booked it in. In all honesty I was happy to miss the team gathering ;) The next day I went ahead with to meet the doctor. The first shout was perhaps elevated blood pressure. The measurement the doctor took then was a bit on at the higher side. But they do not decide that on one measurement. She sent me home with a BP monitoring machine and asked me keep tab for the next week. I did so, and there was no untoward measurement. But my face felt puffier for sure. I did not like how it looked at all and was a bit worried that something else was going on. I made another call and this time they directed me to the primary eye care people. Since it was pollen season, the trigger could have been something wafting in the air. I was given a high dosage of antihistamines to get it sorted. The cautionary word was things should subside within the next 2 days. 

I could feel no difference 2 days later. In fact I felt a mild swelling in my palms and feet as well. Then I remembered that a thyroid test had been recommended for me the previous month. I had a funny ache in my neck. There was nothing wrong with my tonsils. It wasn’t a muscular pain either. It was a weird full pain at the bottom of my neck. The doctor had then asked for a thyroid test, which I had totally forgotten about. I decided to get that done.

The report came back the next day and the doctor was in a tizz. The normal level for one of the hormones should be under 20 and came back with 143 for me. Because of the hormones being so out of whack, my kidney was under stress and I had very elevated cholesterol as well. She was quite scared for me and was shocked that I had no symptoms like breathless ness and the like. She diagnosed it as Hashimoto’s disease which is an auto immune condition. She put me on the stabilising hormone immediately. It would take a few months for things to settle down.The medicines started to work over the next month. I could realise the puffiness on the face reducing a lot. I felt better as well. I was super happy with a diagnosis since I was feeling weird inside but could not pin point the real issue. 

I can’t thank God enough for the diagnosis and the recovery.

No comments: