Thursday, December 24, 2009

A very special weekend

I have been meaning to write this post since a veryyyyy long time. (As I have been meaning to read all the posts in my google reader :( But not been able to manage the time. I intend to read each and every unread post - not that it matters the world to the writers :D)

This year after a span of 9 years, I was with my parents on my birthday. Luckily that time was also the end of days for the typhoid attack. The day preceding my birthday, which was a friday, the doctor had recommended leaving the only liquid diet and switching to some light solid stuff. And some switch I made by having a chicken submarine. My mom, aghast at my loss of weight (moms have this weird tendency to magnify their kids weight loss and big time underplay the gargantuan weight gains) coaxed to have 2 subs! But I literally had to scream at her to make her stop from chocking me with food. We also bought some delightful chocolate cookies and brownies. After the pet puja the rest of the evening was spent doing some birthday shopping :)

The next day - the birthday - started early with calls from friends and relatives. And one hellova chocolate cake from dad! I feasted on the cake like I had been kept off food for years. As with all member of the fairer gender, shopping is not something which reaches its threshold soon. So there were lots and lots more stuff to be bought and off went mom and I for another round of shopping. We started at 1130 in the morning and by the time we got back home it was 1800 hours! Women get some divine stamina when it comes to shopping :D After the humongous shopping was done, it was time to get home, refresh and pack for the coming day when I had to leave for Chennai. After being there for 3 weeks, it did feel weird to pack. But some things got to be done.

The next day I started back. Back to my home. I would feel out of place for a long time in Chennai and every single thing would make me feel nostalgic. I would miss my parents at the slightest pretext. The solace was the fact, within two weeks my time, my mother would be coming over to meet her daughters.....


(The cake dad got... being his typical self, he forgot to write my name on the cake :D )

11 comments:

The Furobiker said...

Belated happy birthday to you!!

The cake looks yum yum !

Jack said...

Amrita,

BELATED MANY MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. MAY YOU HAVE JOYFUL, FUNFUL, HEALTHY, SUCCESSFUL, HAPPY AND PEACEFUL LIFE. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE. What date is it, so I can wish on time next year? Nice to see you are back to normal.

Take care

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

and that's why I say your family makes it best :)

and yeah women do get some divine stamina when it comes to shopping hehehe will be going out with mine tomorrow :D

ps: the cake looks yummy chocolaty.

.. said...

Wow!
The cake looks inviting!!
I missed a piece..

Satish N said...

Hoo Hooo ... Belated bday wishes buddy!!! But eating a choco cake the very next day after typhoid is something not acceptable. You better take care of your health and dont attempt anything like this again :)

Merry Christmas btw :)

Chan said...

Hey...Belated birthday wishes to you. Also wishing you n your family a merry Christmas and a wonder new year ahead.

WritingsForLife said...

Happy Birthday!! Looks like you had a good day! I hope you have many more happy-happy birthdays!

Rachna said...

Atypical behaviour !!

Naveen said...

Well...memories do last forever!!!
belated Happy Bday Gal!!

Renu said...

Belated Happy Bday!..last year I was with my sister on my Bday, and I feel that was the best day of my life:)

Bindhu B said...

Belated Bday Wishes Amrita .. celebrating bday at home after 9 yrs...!!! Wow..then it must have been really special ..:)