Friday, May 27, 2022

31


 Is the number of bones in the human spinal chord. They are the ones which keep us erect and are a defining feature of us humans. Nothing is more annoying than a niggling back pain. As a sufferer of sciatica, I have quite a few aches and pains and I marvel at people who have more debilitating conditions and carry on life with a smile. 

This post is not to elaborate of the numerous age related aches and pains I have ;) This post is about the backbones to my existence - my family. As I heaved a sigh of relief at the result of my job application, I could not help but be thankful to the wonderful bunch of people around me. I had to write a program as part of the process. The language was totally new for me, so it was a simultaneous learning and programming experience. Which was stressful and time taking. I set myself a target for completion. During this time I refrained from any of the household chores. My sister picked them up with full gusto. She did the cooking, the cleaning and the lot. My kids were absolute champions too. When I used to take a break, they would ask, "Mummy have you finished?" They kept asking me innocent questions about how the test was going, when the results will be out etc etc. They tried not to come and ask me for stuff when they needed it. They were generally quieter and fuss free. The most important sacrifice they were making was at bedtime. I put them to sleep. But for the 4-5 days I was writing the code, K took that responsibility. K does not like reading bed time stories and the kids prefer me beside them to tuck them in. But for the 5 nights, they adjusted.

I am so thankful to have my backbones. I think about the innumerable women who had to give up a career and their passions for the lack of a supportive family. I have one more blessing to count in this respect.

No comments: