Monday, May 16, 2022

Moving on but keeping in touch

I am a very unsocial person. I don't like interacting with people. I try to avoid circumstances of coming face to face with another human being as much as possible. But I am very honest with people if I may say so. If I don't like a dress on someone and if they ask me, I will say. If I love the decor of someone 's house I will keep waxing eloquent about it. So my interactions are few and far between but they leave me happy (not sure of the other person though ;) )

So the other day a college mate of mine with whom I am in touch posted some pictures on social media. As usual she and her house looked fabulous and I couldn't stop myself from complimenting. She gushed over and called me and we spoke for around 20 minutes or so. It was one of those good candid conversations during which one has a smile pasted on ones face :) 

Coincidentally that evening again another college mate of mine who is in America messaged that she would be making a trip to the UK. We started chatting and discussing itinerary etc, when taking a cue from what my "morning friend" had done, I called her. We spoke for a good 20 mins again. Off the cuff she asked who all from college I was in touch with. I surprised myself by rattling 5-6 names. It was a moment of shock for me for I am definitely not a gregarious gal.

It made me think how relationships change. How as we move on we have a group of peers we get closer to. Peers not necessarily in age, but in circumstances, in life events. It is endearing to notice how once upon a time "close friends" drift. Some are like flotsam visible somewhere on the radar of social networking sites. Some are out of touch for months on end, but then one call and the distances set by time melt away. And then some are always in the background, a dish, a song, a movie, reminds us of them. Life has an intriguing churn of people indeed :)

 

 

No comments: